Inflatable Andrew Carnegie head sails the Allegheny River
The city of Pittsburgh has long been the city of creative and cultural arts. As part of the Three Rivers Festival held in downtown Pittsburgh June 4th – 13th, the inflatable made its debut in the verging river as gift to the city from artist, Stephen Antonson. Stephen Antonson came to Inflatable Images with a photograph and an idea. That idea became the face and bust of Andrew Carnegie designed to float freely along the Allegheny River during the festival. Working closely with our skillful design team; we went through many stages of conception to achieve the correct look and desire for Antonson. The final product stood 20’ above the water with a 15’ diameter. The inflatable held a unique and custom internal base with blower to keep the unit inflated. The face of Carnegie set sail near PNC Park off the Roberto Clemente Bridge. Antonson choose Carnegie as a means of honoring him for his historical dedication to the city. Inflatable Images has worked with the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust for several artistic festivals and exhibitions in the past. Our creativity and resources can not be surpassed – give us an idea and we’ll inflate it!
To view a video of the completed inflatable Andrew Carnegie head click HERE
Inflatable Andrew Carnegie, from start to finish!
1. Sculpting head of Andrew Carnegie with Stephen Antonson’s guidance and suggestions.
2. Plotting fabric panels on the clay and white dots for our 3d scanner.
3. Re-engineering scanned model into patterns for sewing.
4. Cutting and Sewing of the fabric panels.
5. Airbrushing and adding accents to the inflated Andrew Carnegie head.
6. The floating inflatable Andrew Carnegie head is installed at 3 Rivers.